Saturday, January 2, 2010

A heartfelt Christmas gift for Mom


My mom is very devoted to the Lutheran religion that she raised us all with.

For the past many years, she has been gathering a "Fontanini" Nativity set that started with the Holy Family and has since bloomed into an impressive, probably 100 piece set.  The Fontanini is a 4" high figurine set crafted of a plastic/rubber composite that is hand crafted in Italy and is her pride and joy.

I know how important a Nativity set is to my Mom, so I decided to carve her the Holy Family out of Basswood 7" high and then add to it as the years go on.

I finished to carvings based on Shawn Cipa's design, coated it with mineral spirits / boiled linseed oil mix and brought it to her to give her the option of the "natural" look or "acrylic painted".

She chose the 'natural' look.  Here it is and thanks for looking in:

No comments: